View Single Post
      01-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
m3m5m7
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 750li x M Sport, 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thijs-v-d-H View Post
Sidewall hight does matter. The higher/bigger the sidewall the more capabilities it has to flex, this counts for radial flex as well as vertical flex. Winter tires have deeper profile (12mm from new, normal tires 8mm) wich allows them the gripp better incombination with a different rubber compount which has more natural rubber instead of synthetic rubber. So the more the tires can flex the better it will be at creating gripp.

Off course 20´´ will do the job as well, but just not as good as smaller ones.
Remember ALL tires are a compromise.

@m3m5m7 In your case I think a lot off the tracktion is down to X-drive, perhaps more than you would think. Watch this movie:

Mind this car is on 19´´ summer tires, it offcourse not a lot of snow in this movie however it does show how good its traction is.

Best,

Thijs
X drive does absolutely nothing to stop the vehicle. Traction from stopping is a direct result of the snow/ice tire rubber compound and tread design. There would be no difference in snow/ice performance with the same tire in 19" or 20" that you would ever benefit from. Trust me.... I have run them both on multiple BMWs, Porsches and Audis. Kindly
Appreciate 0