View Single Post
      12-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #29
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

Yeah, I suppose I should have demanded a loaner. Last time I got a loaner it was a rental honda fit. That car was terrible. Anyway, I drove home and when I got back a couple days later they charged me for excessive mileage on the rental. When talking with BMW Canada they did ask me if I had been given a loaner and I remember responding with a "Pfft No - they never do!"

The other trick about being in and out of the shop is up here our shop is so backed up with work you can't be in and out of it a dozen times. You have to book 2-3 weeks in advance to get in. Its almost as bad as doctors! We don't have lemon laws up here in Canada like they do in the states, nor are our courts as mean as the American ones. If I were to lawyer up I wouldn't get very much.

Sad to say because this is a fairly minor issue, it just says that BMW can't fix a minor issue. If BMW can't fix a minor issue what does that mean for major issues? I've had 4 BMWs over the course of my life and they have been very good.

My first BMW was a e39 540i and I loved that car. I put almost 400,000km on that machine without any serious issues. I drove that machine through some of the worst weather and trusted it with my life. I remember the one time it didn't want to start up, it was winter and about -40 outside, I had driven it through the worst blizzard I've ever been through in my life the night before. I drove that car by feel rather than by sight for 300 km. I remember when I got to the city and I could see my final destination that I was safe and the car did it for me. Well, there was so much snow packed into the engine the engine was unable to turn over the next day. I had to open the hood and let it melt a bit from the sun to get it to crank. When I finally got it running, I let it idle roughly for about a half an hour and then I gingerly drove it to an indoor parking lot where I changed my air filters and let the machine melt the snow out. That car was reliable. That car I trusted with my life. This 7, it hasn't earned my trust. I won't go on a long road trip until I've spent enough time with a car to gain its trust. I do short little drives for 3-400 km for a few tries and if anything goes wrong I get it fixed. After a few 3-400 km drives, I'll try a 1000 km trip. Those are fairly safe. If I can do a couple of them without any issue, I might try a 3-4000 km trip. If the car makes it through that, I'm happy with it and I'll keep the car forever.

I hope when my 7 is fixed I'll be able to build trust with it because it is a lovely car. The ride is just so serene and it has presence. I just hope it will.
Appreciate 0