07-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #97
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
At the end of the day the current m3 gets its ass kicked by a civic on the track with over 100hp less and costing only a fraction.

thats what this discussion should be about.
The purpose of the m3 is being ahead of the competition. Mercedes has more powerful models in the same packeage, and lesser cheaper models that have been the result of extensive factory track testing to win the fwd race now have a more balanced chassis to beat the m3 on the track with 100+hp short...
/M used to stand for Motorsport, so a really powerful car that makes wonders happen on the track. But having your direct competitors beat you on power and new competitors beat you on handling, trackperformance and price is not a good thing for something that is named 'Motorsport'. I think the S55 is an interesting and advanced engine with its short turbo to manifold piping and air2water cooling but it may be tuned far to conservatively. And although there is much carbon and aluminium in the chassis, its still not really light.
So in a nutshell it probably needs 100kg less and 100hp more. I think they focus far too much on looks and luxury and too little what makes a car really fast; nimble, light chassis and a strong engine.
Did you actually watch the video? He says he turned off all of the electronic nannies in the M3...he probably should've kept them on, he was getting way too tail happy which, while fun, kills your time.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the CTR can pull similar times to an M3, the latest gen is no slouch. It destroyed the 'Ring and ran it in around 7:50, same time the M3/M4 are rumored to run it in.
Appreciate 0