View Single Post
      01-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
scottg61376
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 M Coupe;14 M6;17 X6M;18 X5M

Garage List
Thanks for the additional suggestions. At this point i have downloaded the file at least 15 times, and have tried 4 different flash drives, all with the same results. I do have a Mac but also have a Win VM, and have tried using both, and always make sure to properly eject before pulling the flash drive.

I even took the car by the dealer today and the shop foreman tried using his own flash drive, he couldn't get it updated either, however his error message was different...something to the effect of "operation can not be completed at this time"

I too think they are having issues with the file and it likely being corrupt. Would love to find someone who has successfully downloaded this version and software you could just email me the file (if they know it is working).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Okay, I will check to see if my filename is all cap and the extension is lower case.

By the looks of it, the file may be corrupted. As you might be aware, after you write to a USB stick, you need to flush the buffers so that all of the data are written out.

In other words, when you save the file on to the USB drive and the operation completes there is no guarantee that all of the data are actually on the USB stick.

Why? Because, the operating system does not actually write to the device immediately. Instead, the OS waits for a routine sync operation to take place. This gives you better overall performance.

So, you can tell the OS to flush all buffers and complete all pending writes on the USB stick by ejecting the USB stick. For Windows, click on the little USB icon in the small tray in The lower right hand corner and then eject the correct device. Maybe you ejected the wrong device.

Next, if you have an apple, click the tiny apple in the upper left hand area of your screen. Then select eject or unmount removable media.

In all cases, if you can't eject in Windows or Apple, just select "shutdown" option. Both OS will flush all pending writes to all devices, including USB just before shutting down.

In any event, delete the file on the USB stick and try to download again. Also, try a different USB stick.

The first thing BMW does before installing a firmware update is to compute a checksum. If the checksums don't match, you will get an error similar to what you have. There is a self check routine on the .bin file. Again, it sounds like your file is corrupted. So please retry and be sure to properly "eject" the USB stick.
Appreciate 0