View Single Post
      08-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 750Li

Zurich - Lago di Como

We started the day with a mediocre breakfast (we were spoiled by the buffet at Mark's at the MO in Munich) at the otherwise fantastic Dolder Grand. What a special hotel. Our room was heavenly. The spa had an outdoor jacuzi, and an "Aqua Zone" with several kinds of showers, an ice room with snow, and the usual sauna, steam rooms, etc. It has to be one of the best spa's we seen (and thats saying something).

We checked out at about 10 and headed through Zurich in the direction of Luzern. Our initial plan was to have lunch at the Palace Luzern, but we changed that at the last minute to the Grandhotel Giessbach. This was a location in one of the final episodes of Band of Brothers.

Filling up:

Interior:

On the drive towards Giessbach:

We reached the hotel for lunch at about 12:30. Another stunning setting. Lake Brienz infront of the hotel and a fantastic waterfall directly next to it.

After lunch, we headed in the direction of Como. The weather was chilly and foggy in Switzerland. About 60 deg F. At the peak of the pass over the mountains we reached 7280 feet and found ourselves in pretty dense fog near the top:

On our way back down:

About 30 minutes after descending the mountain the weather warmed up dramatically. As we approached Como it got up to about 85 deg F.

I hadn't realized how close the Italian border is to Como... literally about 5 minutes. Sorry to note that we did not get stopped by the Police today. Although I gave them plenty of opportunity at the border crossing by waving my wife's non-US passport that required a Schengen visa - but the officer couldn't be bothered.

We arrived at the Villa D'Este and were given an upgrade to a suite!

We then took a private one hour boat ride around part of the lake. What must be the #1 tourist question... George Clooney's villa:

We went out for dinner at Navedano - which was great. Tomorrow we are off to Bellagio and then Milan.

A few notes on the car. I cannot say enough good things about the heads up display. It is so good that I rarely have to look anyplace else. The main display is only good for the fuel gauge every few hours or so. Here it is in action:

The navigation map had been very reliable. I've been able to find every hotel and restaurant easily - and have only been on two small roads that it did not recognize. I cannot imagine driving without it - it simplifies things here dramatically.

Regarding the interior - the massage function on the drivers seat is very nice. It only works on the lower seat (not your back) and changes in severity and location to really relax the muscles. It works well at preventing fatigue on long drives. I don't understand why the pass. seat doesn't have it.

I think the vanity mirror covers for the front seats are cheap looking with the sliding mirror cover (rather than a flip up).

I'm sure I've left a lot out.....

Appreciate 0