View Single Post
      03-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
thefleshrocket
Registered
Rep
Drives: '04 Cobra

Car shopping: '06-'07 Audi A8L vs. BMW 750Li vs. ?

I'm shopping for a new car for my wife. Previously she had an '06 Chrysler 300C (SRT-8 wheels, shocks, springs, struts--so much better handling than stock) which met an untimely demise. We've got a budget of around $25k-$30k and are looking for something of approximately the same size as the 300 (have a 3-year-old and another one due in two months, so decent-sized back seat is important), but something moderately sporty. NO SUVs--ever! Alas, my wife says no stick shift, so slushbox only.

We've been eyeing the Audi A8L and BMW 750Li, circa '06-'07, as they appear to be priced in the upper $20k range, with 60K or fewer miles. (We aren't set on the long wheelbase models--just figured those would definitely have big back seats. The regular wheelbase versions might be sufficiently big back there.) The Mercedes S550 is in the same range for that vintage and mileage, but we think it's the least attractive of the three.

My wife doesn't care so much about vehicle dynamics, but since I'll be behind the wheel periodically, I'd prefer something that is sportier to drive--decent suspension, good brakes, and a transmission that shifts promptly. (Rev matched downshifts would be sweet.) If I could talk her into an A8L W12 or a 760, I would, but price and the "we don't NEED something that powerful" voice of marital reason say not so much.

Reliability is paramount--I imagine repairs for luxury/sport sedans that cost $80K+ brand new probably aren't cheap. Not that we can't budget for them, but I'd rather not have to burn up a nest egg on a transmission or something.

I realize that posting this on a BMW forum is likely to get me a lot of "the 750 is better!" replies, but please post why you feel that way. Thanks!
Appreciate 0