Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme View Post
My take? I took a new Gen V '14 Viper GTS off the showroom floor for a night a few months back. Absolutely loved the thing. It was extremely docile, yet fairly fast. The ride was outstanding, similar to the Stingray. The GTS versions are the loaded cars, and this one had a interior package called "Laguna" that adds even more leather. It's a similar level to the 3LT for Stingray or 3LZ for the Z06, but I actually liked the Laguna interior better than my 3LT Stingray interior, which is also very nice. The shift-feel is the best I've ever felt in a production car, and this is a huge selling point for me. The car also gets a MASSIVE amount of attention. People go bat-shit crazy over them, which can be good, or bad. It's also exceptionally exclusive. To this day, I still haven't seen a single Gen V Viper on the road, and they've been out since 2013. I also love that it doesn't come with auto or convertible options, which I feel will dilute the Z06 cachet (just my opinion).

The only cons of the Viper were the price (MSRP of $139k), and the headroom was tight even for me, at only 5'10. Other than that, it's spectacular. However, I ended up not getting one for two reasons: 1. They were stickered so high from the factory that they weren't selling new or used, which scared me for resale. 2. I didn't want to to pay $140k for a Dodge.

Fast forward to the Stingray and the Z06; I got into these because I know they would sell quickly if/when I wanted to get out of them. The Stingray is also spectacular, but I very much dislike the shift feel, and the fact that it's just another Corvette among a sea of Corvettes. The Z06 will be available in manual, auto, coupe and convertible which means even more Z06s on the road then before.

Until this news was released about the price drop, I was dead set on getting the Z06 I put a deposit down on two months go, but now I'm not so sure. I think this Viper price drop will get the Viper market started again and the truth is, I like the idea of a lighter, N/A Viper much ore than I do a heavier, S/C Z06. I like it so much that I just emailed a new offer for the same GTS I passed on a while back (now that's it's sticker price is $15k less than it was), and if they meet me in a range where I'm comfortable, the Z06 is out, and the Viper is in. I think it's that awesome of a car, regardless of how great the Z06 turns out to be.
Great post. You expressed my thoughts exactly...i wonder how many people on here have actually driven the viper. There would be a lot more fans if people would just go drive one.
Never been in one but would love to go for a spin. I suspect your right 99% of the haters prob have only seen one drive by and never actually drive it.
Appreciate 0