View Single Post
      02-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #53
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantexpert View Post
I had a swimming pool blue 1976 Mustang II 4 cyl coupe as a college student in 91 or 92. It had non functioning dash lights, the transmission that got mated up to it after the previous owner blew the trans was geared so low that top speed was 70MPH. The Holly carb had a broken accelerator pump and I lost 3 of four hubcaps hooning it in the local college basketball stadium parking lot.

I have more fond memories of that car than any of the cars I listed above.

That 4 cylinder with manual was perfect to me. Having had a '61 VW before that with 40HP, the Mustang II seems fast

Was the headliner falling off by the rear window blocking vision out the back? That was one of my favorite "features". A truly flawed car that was still fun if your mind is in the right place.

I get why enthusiasts complain about details; they want perfection and why not. Cars are so good today compared to the 1970s that we have gotten used to really great cars. Now we complain about fake sound, steering, and the location of the screen. I used to complain that my VW would hydroplane and would go straight on the freeway in the rain even when I turned the wheel. My solution was to apply brakes to put enough weight over the front wheels so the car would actually turn. We've come a long way.
Appreciate 2
540iSUP704.00