View Single Post
      07-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #35
r0wr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
I write finance software... And almost everyone I know is in finance. You know how many people I've seen drop the industry completely? Again, just a bunch of people who think their going to be the next Jim Glickenhaus and end up working at their local Fortune 500 making $80k/year. It's like you're trying to argue that its easy to make $500k in the NFL, well no shit but do you know how hard it is to get into the NFL, and stay there?

You write finance software for which type of finance firms?

If you're talking about people who are dropping from the industry, you aren't talking about people in finance. That's my point. If you stay in, work your dick off, and can add value to whichever firm you're with, there's no reason why you wouldn't steadily rise. Nobody in banking thinks they're gonna be billionaires. They just know that if they work there dick off for three years as an analyst, there's a very high likelihood that they're gonna be promoted to associate or lateral into PE or HF where they'd be making the same, if not more.

Those who work at F500 companies aren't the ones putting in 60-80 hour weeks consistently so get your comparison straight. Once again, I think it's apparent that you have limited view of the finance industry and how it works.
Appreciate 1