View Single Post
      07-01-2015, 07:04 PM   #36
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Just curious, why do you want to work at a hedge fund?

Anyway, so here is the thing about trading at a hedge fund. It is a dying position in most situations. The access to broker algos and the traders at your brokers means there is less of a need to have in house traders. Now this does not apply to quant/HFT shops, but then you need to have a PhD and know coding better than pussy.

The trading jobs you will find at hedge funds are mostly execution only jobs (i.e. you push the button rather than making any decisions). The hedge fund manager that does both are the small shops or one where the guy is really damn good at it.

If you are looking to make more money then you gotta try to become an analyst. There is no jump from trader to hedge fund/portfolio manager. Traders are pretty much capped salary-wise (and like I said before a dying breed). Analysts are paid a nice salary to attract top talent and get even bigger bonuses when they make money for the firm.

So what do you do? Well, if you like trading then keep doing what you are doing AND study for the CFA. I'm sure your employer will help you out by paying for it. You should also network like crazy. You will find it extremely difficult to get a job at a hedge fund by applying online. Your reputation and skill mean everything, and to have someone refer you is so valuable.
Appreciate 0