View Single Post
      07-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
FAM3
Major
Rep
Drives: M5

Question: I need some Tips on what type of Travel Camera/Equipment to get

Hey guys,

Longtime lurker here on this great subforum! Lots of great info and now I have a couple of questions I need some help and tips on.

I am going traveling a lot this summer along with doing a european delivery and would love to take a lightweight camera and some equipment with me that can shoot quality material. Traveling light is very important. I want to put together a commercial type project while I am traveling around so I need the footage to look GREAT. I also have an EPK gig coming up so that will be good to finally have my own camera.

I was considering renting as I always do for shoots locally but I will be traveling for about two months and am considering just purchasing something to have. Maybe even something newer that I can sell used right after I am done with my work. I personally am not a DP/Photographer so I do not plan on using the camera much after my trip. It is going to be a learning experience for me and I am excited about that aspect as well so something with a smaller than normal learning curve. I have worked with Alexa, Red, Sony higher end cameras before on film shoots so this will be my first portable camera experience on my own.

I want a camera that can take photos/stills and video in 4K that looks beautiful raw. Something around $1500-$2000 would be great. So when I come back in post I can get to work on it. I am trying to avoid using Canon 5D DSLR type cameras and get something on the newer side. Also whatever lenses (as few as possible) are needed for a trip where any situation may come up. Even if it is a fixed lens that works for me as long as the range is good enough.

Of course I will bring portable cameras with me such as my GoPro and iPhone 6+ Cameras with me for on the go quick footage/pictures but I want something that can be more than that.

Another two things I want to be able to transport with me easily is a small tripod and slider. Any recommendations for that would be great.

**A couple of cameras/equipment I have been looking at right now:**

Sony A7 II

Sony RX10 version one or two if it can get to me in time

Black Magic Micro Camera - https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...rocinemacamera

Manfrotto 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with RC2 Quick Release & 200PL QR Plate -
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Tilt_Head.html

Edelkrone Slider - A bit on the expensive side so something cheaper would be better or if this has good resale value you think.

Thank you for all the help guys I greatly appreciate it and any info you can give me!
Appreciate 0