05-31-2017, 07:12 AM   #42
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
Sure but do you lock the doors to your house if you're just going into the backyard for a few minutes? Same sort of situation. Maybe I'm not paranoid enough, but I don't think it's unreasonable. Especially since on some cars (including our BMWs), the doors have to be unlocked for the filler door to open.
No one is going to steal my house and there is nothing of great value that someone can run in and take off with quickly. Then with your keys in your car (or especially the people that leave the car running) people walk by your car, see your keys, and see that it is very easy to get (unlike the unlocked house) which no one has any idea if it is locked or there are other people in the house. BMW is worth roughly $27k (and a massive hassle if it is stolen) and TV in my house probably has a true value of $300, someone runs in and steals my TV it's not even worth calling the insurance company.

I don't see it as even close to the same situation.

Also, taking my key with me has nothing to do with the door being unlocked and if for some reason I decide to go in the store I don't have to grab the keys or leave the car sitting there with the keys in it.