04-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #23
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Not only subjective but also very limited.
The m3 only came around in the mid 80's and bmw is far far older than that.
The've raced the 2002 extensively, the e9 (Csl) was very succesful etc etc
The 'm3' only made the reputation because they call certain cars m3 over and over again; it's now the fifth generation, but all those cars have nothing in common except the name. So if a car built the reputation, which M3 specifically do you mean?
The interweb tales probably say the e30 was the most succesful, but in which class etc? probably a fact copied out of some old book because the production numbers of the e30 m3 were very low.
I don't know about being the most successful, but the e30's success in various racing organizations, and its introduction to the American market, in the 80's played a huge role in establishing BMW as a landmark car company.

When I say BMW's M3 has a racing pedigree, I mean all of the m3's starting with the e30 (with the exception of the current m3/m4). The e46, e36 and e30 that were raced in many organizations, the e92's race-inspired s65. It's pretty commonly accepted that BMW's M3's have strong connection to racing (even outside of the interweb gossip circles).

Again not saying it was the only car that brought success to BMW, but IMO it was the one that earned BMW its reputation and pedigree.

Last edited by Dalko43; 04-14-2016 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0