11-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Or there are some containers that doesn't emit frequencies.
Correct: a Faraday cage, essentially. Anything surrounded in metal that can block a radio signal. Even your microwave oven works well enough.

Some of us don't have the convenience of a "locked garage" (nor do we want one) because we don't want, or can't have, a full house. For instance, I own a condo in a building with assigned gated parking. Three times in the past two years, thieves have used repeater transponders to capture passive keyless entry codes while the keys sat in their owners' condos. I know of at least two cases personally where passive keyless entry cars were stolen right out of the driveway of someone's home -- one of whom had bought the car earlier that day. I'm sure they essentially happened like the Ring video demonstrates.

"Comfort Access" applies as much to the thief as the owner. Personally, that I ordered my two most recent cars without it (BMW and Porsche) has saved me from theft at least three times because cars around me were broken into or taken, while mine weren't even touched.

Makes me wonder how many car models aren't available without passive keyless entry ... personally, until it becomes more secure, I won't consider a car that I can't order without it.
Appreciate 0