Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 750Li Alpina B7 First Drive by Edmunds InsideLine

Name:  alpina-b7.jpg
Views: 7345
Size:  99.9 KB

2011 BMW 750Li Alpina B7 First Drive

The press has been out in force with their Alpina B7 reviews this week, following a big press event where various members of the press were given these cars to drive and have fun with.

I really enjoyed this one article in particular by the folks over at InsideLine, here are some select quotes but make sure to follow the jump to the full article

Quote:
After one stab of the loud pedal, you understand why BMW doesn't bother to make an M version of the 7 Series. The 2011 BMW 750Li Alpina B7 is all the M7 you'll ever want, a fire-breathing 500-horsepower version of the BMW 7 Series that doesn't forget that it's all right to be comfortable while you're hurtling down the autobahn at top speed.

As soon as you take the steering wheel in your hands, you know you're in something special. The rim is finished with silky leather, and BMW's typical cross-stitching has been changed to a directional pattern so your hands aren't rubbed raw when you're spinning the wheel. Alpina has also installed its own proprietary control buttons, notably an aluminum nipple at either side that actuates transmission shifts.

Anyone can take a 750i and turn up the boost. The real story here is in the engineering that Alpina has put into its effort. This company has come a long way since 1962 when Burkhard Bovensiepen put dual Weber carburetors on the BMW 1500. Alpina progressed from a motorsports tuner to a full-fledged small-volume manufacturer in 1983, and now it's a full partner with BMW, producing a whole range of specialty cars derived from BMW models. When you buy the 2011 BMW 750Li Alpina B7, it's even backed by a full BMW warranty.

The B7's twin-turbo 4.4-liter BMW V8 from the 750i is actually assembled by hand at Alpina's facility in Buchloe, Germany, before being shipped to BMW for installation in this car. The Alpina philosophy is "high torque at low rpm," and as such the 4.4-liter V8 is fitted with special Garrett turbochargers from Honeywell. These lightweight units flow more air and the turbines spool up more quickly, so maximum torque is available as low as 3,000 rpm. Meanwhile, new Mahle pistons afford a lower compression ratio of 9.1:1 in order to withstand 14.7 psi of boost.

You can have your Alpina B7 as a short-wheelbase BMW 750i, priced at $122,875. Once you step up to the long-wheelbase BMW 750Li, then that will be $126,755. (In Europe you can get an all-wheel-drive version.)

You'd think that there would be not so many people looking to drain their wallet so comprehensively to get a juiced-up BMW 7 Series, but Alpina figures there are between 450 and 500 of you. Considering the speed with which the 2007-'08 Alpina B7 went through BMW dealerships, you might want to get in line soon.
Follow the link to the full article: http://www.insideline.com/bmw/alpina...rst-drive.html