Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55jb4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
I stand behind VW's. I've had 4 in the driveway at one time, and still have 2 in the household. They are great for what you'd expect, but cost of maintenance is German instead of Jap or Domestic. So be prepared.

Something for consideration...GTI/GLI will cost more on insurance. You can get the "Highline" model of the Golf or Jetta that will come similarly spec'd but without the pizzaz sport springs, rims and seats but would save on insurance. If your son isn't to much of a car guy this could be helpful. If he intends to modify, then why pay for the GTI/GLI springs and rims if he's just going to change them!

The motors on the upper specs are all 1.8 or 2.0 T depending on the model and year. No change to the GTI or GLI's. So that won't have to be a consideration.

The build quality of Mark IV and Mark V (2000 - 2010ish) GTI/GLI/Golf/Jetta's are higher quality over all. Better materials, and standard finishes. The MarkVI started to dwindle a bit as VW sacrificed quality for lower entry prices levels. GTI and GLI were the only models that maintained the high quality overall. It is yet to be seen their long term durability. Still high quality but worth a consideration in your price range.

Mini is a niche brand, and entry level BMW. Generally the latest and greatest is what you want and only a true enthusiast would look into the used market. There have been some notable mechanical issues as milage gets up there. Cost of ownership is higher than other options for a first car.

Tell us more about what your son is leaning toward (desires), and what you're looking for (desires) this would allow for better recommendations.

Back in 2005 I wanted a used E36 328is for my first car, and dad steered me over to an almost new Mazda3, made sense for insurance and operating costs. In the end I really loved and miss that car (yes I modified it).

One final thought...

... with a VW a check engine light will eventually come on. You could drive it to the ground with that light on. The thing about the light, is at least you'll know whats wrong. It's when you don't have a check engine light that you should be worried because you don't know whats coming or how much it will cost.
Was it the model year when they got all rusty trunks and whatnot?
I had a rusty trunk barely....moreso a bubbling hood. VW was great, replaced the hood and trunk with all new pieces freshly painted. they easily identify the rust as it's where the seams meet. leading edge rust isn't covered as it's general wear and tear.

i had my pre 2005.5 Mazda 3 repainted 3 times and it was never as easy as VW. Mazda just repaired, VW replaced.
Appreciate 0