View Single Post
      07-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

IndyCar legend Gil de Ferran:
“It was a fun day in many ways,” he said. “Driving an electric racing car for the first time is fantastic. Genuinely speaking I'm a little rusty - I've been retired now for six years, and I haven't driven anything seriously, but I felt good enough to give it a go.

“I really enjoyed driving the car - the torque characteristics of the electric motor - it's a very interesting thing to deal with, you don't use the engine and the gearbox in the same way you use them in a normal racing car so that was very interesting. It was a good day and I enjoyed it.”

“I think it's going to be very interesting,” he said. “I think there is going to be quite a bit of fighting because everyone is using the same car, but it's going to be a bit of an intellectual chess match - how you drive, how you use your energy, how you regenerate your energy, how my you can do it and how fast you can go in the most efficient way? I think it's going to be a really interesting race from a smarts perspective.”

Ex-Formula 1 racer Christian Danner
“I was very pleasantly surprised because you have a certain amount of prejudice: is it going to work? What will it be like?

“But once you actually get your arse into the car you realise that, number one, it's just a racing car. It does have a lot of grip from the tyres, which was a big surprise because when you look at them that appears impossible.
“I love racing whether it's an electric motor or a combustion engine, I don't care, for me it's a racing car. And this is a very good way to get to hook up with a lot of people who weren't interested [in racing] before.”
Appreciate 0