03-26-2017, 10:31 PM   #51
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I breezed through most of the posts here, but since you hit upon what I was going to discuss, I'll chime in.

First off, if you like cars, then the count of how many you have is immaterial. I have 4 plus a motorcycle (that's basically a car a Honda Valkyrie Interstate), and looking to get a Chevy Bolt soon.

But you are looking for a Porsche with a back seat. So that leaves you with an SUV (not really a Porsche), the Panamera, or the 911 (suitable for the dog). But the rear seat of the 911 is not really a usable seat for adults. The Cayman is the Porsche you should get since it's affordable as a used car, and quite reliable (outside of a possible IMS bearing issue on the pre-'09s), and does what you buy a Porsche to do. But you're mistaken about airbag situation. The passenger airbag can be turned off in the Cayman. It's federal law that any two seat car must have a defeatible airbag so that rear-facing child safety seats can be used in the passenger seat. Your restrained pup should be as safe in the Cayman as any other vehicle he now rides in.
I appreciate your comments very much. From what I have read, the passenger seat in a Cayman has a sensor that is set to a weight limit high enough that a child or perhaps my dog sitting on it won't allow the airbag to deploy. Alternatively, one can pay to have a dealer install a switch to defeat the airbag activation, and from what I have read that ends up costing many hundreds of dollars and requires a lot of technician time to get at the modules which are, I believe, under the passenger seat.

Where I am now with this purchase is that I have seen one car locally which might potentially work for me, which is a 2006 Carrera 911 base model with a few options, very low mileage (<29K), excellent almost new condition, but an asking price at least a couple or 3 thousand beyond what I would even consider paying. At the current price or anything like it, I won't go any further towards even considering it. My search over many online listings of used Porsches tells me that with some time devoted to a search I can find something suited to my needs and find at least a little bit of value out there. At the right price, however, the local car (and it will probably be the only local car potentially working for me, given where I live) could be worth pursuing.

So I will see how this thing plays out. I'm headed overseas for a few weeks in 2 weeks and don't have a lot of available time now for a car transaction. Assuming the local deal doesn't pan out, I will just put the whole thing off for a month or two until I have more time, and assuming I still have interest, I will look at Caymans and Cayman Ss and whatever I can find in the 911 line, within a reasonable distance from where I live. I am no stranger to buying used cars at a distance, just now I won't do it without going out physically to look at the vehicle prior to purchase, which obviously takes time and effort and expense over just finding something in your own back yard.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0