View Single Post
      03-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #75
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Over here bimmers are the best bang for buck cars (not exactly prestigious in any way), I've had a 335D Xdrive and an M140i so far. They've been incredibly cheap for what they are if nothing else.

Last time I checked you couldn't even buy a Focus ST with Nav for the same price as an M140i. I've been going through a cycle of new cars every year recently, so I've started searching for one that I'd keep longer term. I'm an enthusiast and badges mean nothing to me..

In the "premium" sector, the only car I found that drove subjectively better was the Jaguar XE (transmission aside).. I tested Merc's / Audi's and Alfa's, they were all "good" cars (well some of them) but none of them blew my socks of, neither did I think they were better than the bimmer.

In what we perceive as the "lower class" segment, there were some fantastic drivers cars.. Funnily enough Toyota and Mazda weren't on the top ten list (bar the GT86), I tried an Avensis / Mazda 6 and I'll be err moving swiftly on..

I got quotations on the cars I liked the most and I was stunned.. A 200HP Vauxhall (GM (now Renault?) Astra GTC (Ford Focus rival) came in about the same price as Jag 250 R-Sport, 280 Veloce Giulia and not far off a BMW 340i.. This was far from the only one.!

From searching about it became apparent BMW aren't at the top of dynamics tree. Although in terms of cost, practicality, economy, interior, engines and handling they are a great package that IMO can't be beat and it helps them in a global market where most people didn't even know a 1-series was RWD..

Mazda can copy whoever they want but there's a bigger picture in the global market, just ask Alfa about that one.. On a contradictory note, it does go against what made the successful in the first place though being the "ultimate driving machine".

Last edited by Firaxis; 03-06-2018 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
DDD311649.00