02-06-2015, 05:04 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
The problem with all these new entries is it's too little too late. First, and this is the main factor, is that the go-to brands have been established. Second, these new entrants are building cars like it's still 2000 and unfortunately for them, the segment has evolved and moved on.

Companies like Cadillac and Jaguar are in this for the sales and money, anything else (exclusivity right Cadillac?) is pure bullshit because they can't move units.

I hate when reviews say stuff like this is the 3-Series killer or "game over for everything in the class". What constitutes it as a "killer"? I'm sure they said the same thing about the ATS and how's that doing? It's going to be the same for the XE. I'm not saying that BMW is the be-all-end-all car in this segment but numbers don't lie. You don't "kill" the 3-Series because you got a hard-on when driving it. You kill when you're on top and the only way you get on top is if you outsell it.
Well if you want a driver's car the new BMWs are not the place to go. I'm not talking about $75K M-car class cars, but just plain, mildly optioned (i.e. sport package'd), well driving cars. BMW has turned into Buick of the 2000's. The 3-Series has turned into a bloated, I-drive luxo-boat. The last 3 variations of BMW 3-Series (and a 228i to boot) I've driven have not the brakes, steering, nor dynamic balance that BMW DNA gave you; the ATS does however. Maybe the likes of Cadillac and the new Jag are filling in a niche in the market that some of us still have interest in. I think when most references are to 3-series killer, it's about the drive and not the sales volume. If it is all about sales volume, then BMW as a sales leader sucks, since it only holds about 5% of the US market.
Appreciate 0