04-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #24
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Not quite my point, and apologies if that wasn't clear. A person is trying to gain access to a product that's highly sought after and limited in supply no matter its volume, not take a product that's readily available for anyone to grab and go. That's a big distinction -- and in that respect, sure: it is a bit like a Ferrari.

The point is access. A person needs to do what they can to enable the access -- not assume that they are entitled to that access because of whatever. The same applied to the M2 when it was first around: it's not a limited-production car, but it was in high demand and was, thus, pretty much unobtainum for those wanting to try it before buying it. Same applied to the Performance Pack VW Golf GTi -- and, as I mentioned before, Corvettes (for different reasons). It has nothing to do with what a product costs, or its production volume. It has to do with access, and again: it is up to you to do everything you can to enable that access. If one dealer won't allow it for whatever reason, good or bad, you're perfectly free to try again at another dealer.

Besides (even though it has lottle to do with the topic here): what's wrong with markups for high-demand items? That's called supply-and-demand capitalism. You may hate it, but it's free-market economics 101.
I can see your point. However, the difference between a Raptor or GT350/R and a 1M Coupe, M2, or GTS is access. M cars mentioned here weren't accessible because there weren't any at the dealers when they were released. The Fords, on the other hand, are sitting in the showrooms. I think that's the main difference here. You go to a BMW dealership and have to pay for an allocation for an M2. Naturally you cannot test drive what isn't there. While at a Ford dealership the vehicles are there, they just won't let you drive them.

I'm not going to say that a BMW dealer would let you drive an M2 under the same circumstances but I think the different situations don't allow us to compare the two.

Also, I have nothing against markups. My motto has always been, spend it if you got it. I was merely pointing out the synonymy of Ford and "off the rack"...
Appreciate 0