View Single Post
      04-20-2017, 05:41 PM   #33
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Dude, you're not hearing me. You needed to demonstrate to the dealer that you were serious. If you didn't feel like doing it through appearance, then do it through words and actions. At least try to do a little convincing, man: something like "I would like to test drive a Raptor, if one's available. I really want to add it to the stable (then point to the M4)." If the salespeople don't react, go to another dealer and try again.

Just based on your posts, your general attitude screams "I make bank, and you should know that by telepathy and respect my bank!". I deal with this type every day; the city I live in is full of this kind of person. (Hell: people in Big D have this attitude even when they don't have bank.) Having money doesn't matter a whit to a Ford dealer. Demonstrating that you're serious does.

My point about suits has nothing to do with the cost of what a person dresses in to make a purchase. It has everything to do with how serious a person is taking the purchase in the eyes of the person who controls access to the purchase. At its most basic: Tailoring shows that you care; OTR RTW (off-the-rack ready-to-wear) shows that you don't. zx10guy , that example, though skewed because of the presence of your wife in business clothing, actually proves my point: the minute you proved you were serious, the salesman changed his demeanor. Would the salesman's demeanor have been more appropriate earlier if you were dressed in slacks, or selvedge jeans, or even decent jogger pants? Almost absolutely, if the salesman knows his stuff. (That point is exclusive of the salesman not knowing his stuff, obviously ... and to be honest, that likelihood is greater at Mazda and Ford dealerships.)

And I'm sorry: the point about criminals in suits and slubbies as big spenders has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation. You're simply trying to get in the door of a Raptor or GT350, not taking something off the rack. Nice try, but you're clutching at straws.

Now: can we get this thread back on topic, please?
I understand your point but as some have said, the salesman by asking certain questions should be able to figure out if you're serious or not. The salesman I bought my 135i from didn't feel like I wasn't serious when I showed up in the same "outfit" I did when I went to the Acura dealer. My experience with the BMW sales guy was horrible during the negotiations and I let them know when BMW sent me a survey asking about my sales experience.

On the topic of having to show the part when visiting "high image" marques, I go back to my experience buying my Ducati. The sales guy never thought I wasn't serious about buying. I was able to negotiate a discount from them when I've heard traditionally they don't do much negotiation. Was real funny when I was out on a ride with another Ducati rider and he tells me about his buying experience. He bought his bike from the same dealer and the same sales guy. The sales guy wouldn't budge off of MSRP. I got him to come down $500 that involved him searching the now scarce inventory of that model year for a pearl white. He was able to find one still crated at the Ducati east coast warehouse and brought it down to me. I also got him to throw in the rear solo cowl for free. And the funny thing was when I was wrapping up the paper work, I mentioned if I could also get some Ducati shwag. So I ended up walking out with a free Ducati hat too. Oh and because of my anal retentiveness, Ducati changed suppliers of the wheels for their superbikes mid model year that year. The bike I received didn't have the Brembo/Marchisini wheels. I asked if I could get the Marchisini wheels off the last remaining 848 they had on the floor. He agreed if I paid the labor to swap the wheels.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2191.50