View Single Post
      07-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #23
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but whatever. The biggest problem with this is you have to live like a poor person. I read it cost him $60k over 3 years, but the cost is actually much steeper. The opportunity cost of not working, saving, etc at his youngest years. The same money saved for retirement would be worth $3,000,000 in 40 years. Yeah, yeah...live while you're young, but he's starting over when he gets back. Cool experience, but now it's over and reality is back. He has plenty of time to save and I hope he does.

As I was saying, $60k is super cheap for that many countries and 3 years. He probably had to stay with random people and eat street food. Of that $60k, over half is probably transportation including airfare. I spent over $20k visiting Tokyo and Caymans. I spent another $7k in Nepal. Obviously, his method is fine if you're the kind of person cool with that kind of bare bones and potentially dangerous travel.

I'm sure he had a wonderful time, but he really had to rough it a lot of the time. He even mentions getting robbed in the video. Some would argue you can only experience the country traveling this way...it's personal preference.

I'm not hating on this...good for him to do it, but it takes a certain kind of person to leave everything behind for 3 years to take a trip by yourself. With no one to share it with, it's a little empty. You meet your wife and you're like, "oh, I've already been there alone."

I'd be much more in favor of taking a nice trip a couple times/yr and doing it right. Then you spread it out and can really enjoy each place.

The positive is he did get to tick off all these places at a young age.

The negative is he probably had to rough it, did it alone, and is probably essentially broke now.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 07-31-2015 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 2