View Single Post
      04-11-2024, 07:38 PM   #95
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I read a lot of jealously here. Who cares what John Doe CEO makes. It's really none of my/our business. You would probably be shocked to hear what my salary was when I was fired/retired; and were were capped. In retirement, on a gummint (CSRS) pension, I'm still in the lower six figures.
If you've got a government job that you really like, it pays well, and the pension is attractive, that can be the trifecta for a retiree.

I say this after seeing someone retire while earning a high five-figure salary after a long career at a CA city agency, never really leave as she's now consulting (i.e., doing the same job part-time for 75% of the salary (she's rated "indispensable")), her pension is indexed for inflation, and she and her husband are old enough to collect SS. For a variety of reasons, the husband never worked or earned much, so SS is his only contribution. The tldr of their situation is that their cash flow is almost 3X what it was when she was still an employee. The time she spends part-time doing the job is well under 20 hours a week, and it can be done anywhere there's an internet connection, including while waiting in line at Dunkin Donuts. Don't laugh, I'm not kidding.

I'm able to keep up with their income by making a fairly good guess as to their SS income and via this terrific site: https://transparentcalifornia.com/. There's a lot that the Golden State struggles to get right, but I think Transparent California is an example of the state offering its citizens a very informative and valuable source of public information.
Appreciate 0