View Single Post
      05-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #12
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Nice pics............but............

Dark photos do nothing but hide that this design is amorphous and unappealing to say the least.

It's no different than being with someone who says "turn down the lights" just as you are about to get a close up look.

Let's get real- (and yes I've spent time behind the wheel of the F01)the new 7er is no looker in the sense of previous 7's. It's big and conservative with a lot of power.........but......it doesn't really stand out and is overly conservative. By contrast the E65/66 was considered too austere and obnoxious for its time if you can believe that......

What would be a perfect balance? Well the Concept CS was a good start but the "beancounters" in Munich who started with "Panke" and have moved on to the current "Norbert" have seen fit to kill that off.......... But oh, let's make a wild and toyish X5M and X6M as that's what the Russians want and a few HP SUV crazy Yankees and we'll call it a BMW- is that really so much better??!!

Truly it is sad what BMW is up to these days. From someone who forked over thousands just to get into the E39 540i 6-speed and then forked over a King's ransom to get into the almighty E46 M3 (my 2 cents)........Someone in Munich needs a serious E46CSL shoved up their arse to remind them that this is supposed to be the "Ultimate Driving Machine"..... and not the "Ultimate we'll make it whatever "you" (insert any country) want it to be Machine."...........

Reminds me of a saying a car enthusiast told me recently at Bimmerfest-

"What's the difference between a prostitute and a BMW?"

I said, "Uh, I really don't know"

He said, "Nothing- they both will do anything for the right amount of money."

Postscript........one glimmer of hope- Auto und Sport has just released images (okay illustrations) of the 2012 3er and it is GORGEOUS! So judging by the this and the new Z4 perhaps there is some life left in the bowels of Munich after all...
Appreciate 0