View Single Post
      05-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #102
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
‘Are you sure it’s best to stay out?’ Radio call which cost Hamilton victory revealed

‘Are you sure it’s best to stay out?’ Radio call which cost Hamilton victory revealed

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/05/2...tory-revealed/

The radio message which cost Lewis Hamilton a likely victory in the Monaco Grand Prix has been revealed for the first time.

Hamilton was leading the Monaco Grand Prix when a pit stop during a Safety Car period at the end of the race handed victory to his team mate Nico Rosberg.

As Hamilton admitted afterwards, his team had originally said he should stay out but he queries the call and was concerned his rivals would take the opportunity to switch to super-soft tyres.

The decision was then taken for Hamilton to pit, as Mercedes incorrectly believed he would be able to do so and remain in the lead.

The pivotal radio message was not broadcast during the race, but can be heard in the edited highlights of the Monaco Grand Prix video on the official Formula One website. It includes the following exchange between Hamilton and race engineer Peter Bonnington:

Quote:
Peter Bonnington Safety Car, Safety Car. So we are staying out.
Lewis Hamilton Are you sure it’s the best thing to stay out? These tyres have lost all their temperature. Everyone’s going to be on [super-softs] now.
Peter Bonnington OK. Copy, copy. Box, box.
After the race Mercedes executive director Toto Wolff said “I’m sorry for Lewis that we made the mistake and I’m sorry for Lewis”. He described the decision as “a misjudgement in the heat of the moment”.

Other radio messages which were not broadcast during the race which can be heard in the video include Daniel Ricciardo saying “get out of my way” as he passed Kimi Raikkonen, in a move the Ferrari driver claimed deserved a penalty.