View Single Post
      12-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyT View Post
I'm currently trying to sell a car on craigslist. Of the 6 or 7 people that have contacted me, only one person was an actual real person with interest in buying the car. Unfortunately he was actually looking for a different car (MB diesel engine swap into a jeep).

One person wanted to send me a cashiers check, let it go through (which I guess they can still bounce after cashing it), then ship the car (he was wayyyyy to eager to buy a 30 year old car in so-so condition sight unseen and asked no questions).

Another contacted me for her boyfriend. She wanted me to email her boyfriend the description. I have no idea why he would have email access but couldn't look at a craigslist ad, other than to get my email address for some reason.

Both of these had out of state area codes on their numbers, not the best grammar, and contacted me at odd hours of the night. All big ass warnings.
Yes, cashier's checks are no different than regular checks with respect to having a clearing process. So cashier's checks can expose you to risks of a forged/fake check or someone canceling the check before the funds clear. That's why so many people get burned because they think the money is immediately available; same with money orders.

The only check instrument which is payable on demand with no clearing process are US Postal Money Orders. When I was selling some motorcycle parts a while back, I required payment in US Postal Money Orders. People thought it was odd but I wanted that extra bit of protection. I verified the on demand part of the Postal Money Order by cashing one at a post office and the other at a bank. Both places did a check on the validity of the check and gave me cash on the spot. The bank also never asked for a bank account number.
Appreciate 0