07-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 328i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Considering having my car detailed (compounded) for the first time, but have some questions:

1. Is it true that any amount of compounding removes some clear coat? If so, is the amount truly negligible or does removing any amount make the paint more susceptible? (detailing / compounding / waxing is not something I do / plan to do on a regular basis)

2. Will compounding leave buffer / hologram marks, and if so, do detailers use ‘glaze’ to (temporarily) cover up same, such that I wouldn't realize same until a few weeks later, when the ‘glaze’ wears off? (I can ask the detailer what their practices are, but who’s to say I'd receive an honest answer)

P.S.: I’d use a reputable local shop that’s been around for a long time and details all types of cars, high end exotics included.

Thanks!
You will only need to have your car compounded if the paintwork has deep scratches in it. If what you have are surface scratches or holograms you should go with a 2 stage polish and sometimes a single stage polish will do depending on the type of paint (hard or soft). Make sure the detailer you take it to REMOVES the imperfection and doesn't cover them up with a glaze or other fillers. Also, just because you see a detail shop that has done work on exotic and high end vehicles doesn't mean they are excellent at what they do. Unfortunately many of this car owners are not well educated when it comes down to a high quality detail. Check out their work first, ask them A LOT of questions and if they give you any kind of warranty on their work.

Compounding a vehicle will remove clear coat off the vehicle. If the detailer knows what he's doing, the removal will be minimum but if you give it to an inexperienced detailer, the damage could be pretty bad and it could cost you a lot of money to have it fixed.

Rule of thumb - If the price for the detail work seems too good. Keep shopping around. Shop based on quality, not on price
Appreciate 0