View Single Post
      08-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Considering having my car detailed (compounded) for the first time, but have some questions:

1. Is it true that any amount of compounding removes some clear coat? If so, is the amount truly negligible or does removing any amount make the paint more susceptible? (detailing / compounding / waxing is not something I do / plan to do on a regular basis) Yes, polishing of ANY type will remove your clear coat. However, most polishes remove such a small layer (measured in microns) that you could literally polish every single month for years and years before the clear coat would become too thin. Think of Menzerna PO85RD for example, which is a finishing polish. However, heavy compounding polishes can go through your clear coat in a single pass. All depends on the polish, the pad used and the buffer speed.

2. Will compounding leave buffer / hologram marks, and if so, do detailers use ‘glaze’ to (temporarily) cover up same, such that I wouldn’t realize same until a few weeks later, when the ‘glaze’ wears off? (I can ask the detailer what their practices are, but who’s to say I’d receive an honest answer) Compounding can leave hologram but it should always be followed up by using a finer abrasive. I see you have holograms in your paint now, which is not the end of the world. A fine polish will take that right out. But it's obvious your choice in detailers wasn't a good one. Especially when he's argueing with you about it afterwards.

P.S.: I’d use a reputable local shop that’s been around for a long time and details all types of cars, high end exotics included.

Thanks!
(message was too short for some reason)
Appreciate 0