View Single Post
      01-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
CrazyT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

2018 F1 USGP in Austin - Tips?

Hello all. I'm making plans to attend the USGP at COTA this year, and never have been there, looking for tips and suggestions. I've been to the Canadian GP twice and had a blast, and enjoyed how Montreal had it figured out with getting everyone to the race with their subway system, but TX is a different beast and would like some experienced opinions.

Best grandstand to sit at? I do prefer to be where the action is at (likely turn 1), but also like to see them at speed, so maybe near turn 3-5?

How to get back and forth from the event? I do plan on going at least sat and sun. We already have a hotel reservation near the airport, but may be staying with a friend that lives in Austin. What is the preffered way to get to the track?

There was a thread on this a couple years ago, but figured that it's a relatively new track there may be others that now have something to share. The info I got from that thread is summarized below. Any additional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Turn 1 is good for the start of the race. Turn 15 grandstands is always my recommendation to see the most action. More merch and hospitality stuff at turn 15 complex.

Spend a day Fri or Sat to walk the entire track, a lot of places to sit in grass and watch different areas of the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasZed4MC View Post
Let me see if I can help. I have driven the track and been all over the facility.
I would buy GENERAL ADMISSION. That ticket lets you walk around all over the track. You don't have to be tied to one specific spot.
Take a shuttle to the track and back. You better get your hotel rooms NOW, the prices are going to be absurd also. I am guessing around $200 a night just for a Holiday Inn Express room. If the Longhorns are playing football that weekend at home also you WILL NOT be staying in Austin ANYWHERE. Be prepared to stay as far as San Antonio or Waco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
High up in turn 12 is great. Been there every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
We stayed in San Antonio (Westin and points) and drove directly to the track, not to a shuttle location. Parking was $200 total for the 3 days. Walked around on Saturday (didn't go on Friday). Basically tailgated before and after the race, couldn't see a good reason to jump in the car and sit for an hour barely moving.
Appreciate 0