View Single Post
      03-23-2018, 12:04 AM   #12
saifmassoud
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
That's good to know you've had both and came to that conclusion. I wonder if BMW simply fail to shift as many 7's as they could because people simply don't even try them to give them a chance vs the S class.

Fastlanejb, you are spot on this one. I have family members and friends who haven not even been inside the car nor had driven it and automatically believe the S is a better car in ever way!

It is true that as we speak, the S outsells the 7 by about 2 to 1. I think for BMW to overcome this they need time to get new and die-hard S fans away from Mercedez to BMW, this does take time but I think BMW can speed this process if they decide to go bold and aggressive with the EXTERIOR design for the next 7 series.

I think if they use many of their "concept" exterior design cues and put it on the 7, and combine that with an already out of this world interior design we already have, they can pull ahead of Mercedes. My main point here is the exterior design, it is way more conservative than it should be. If they take many cues from their concept vision cars and slap that on the exterior i think its a win. I believe if they continue with a "safe" way conservative exterior design, the S will continue to outsell the 7. Lets be honest, the 7 is better than the S in the following areas:

1. Ride handling...no surprise here, BMW always excels here.
This time around, comfort wise the 7 is just as comfortable as the S, good job BMW engineers (last generations 7's were not).

2. Power delivery. My father's traded his S550 for the 7. It has 4.4L V8 Twin Turbo 440 + horse power. Our 740i has 3.0L twin turbo 320 horse power. Yet, every time he drives the car he comments on how the 7 feels so much faster than the S, even though it has 2 less cylinders and 120 horsepower less, why? because power delivery between engine and transmission unit in BMW is different than in Mercedes. with the Merc, you always feel there is some lag, with BMW its very sporty feeling, no lag. I did not believe that myself until I actually drove both cars, weird but true.

3. Interior wise, they are both great but BMW outshines the S with the ambient lights and Panoramic Sky Lounge LED. I mean just look at the pictures. I think BMW should make the Panoramic Sky Lounge LED STANDARD for the next model, it really can be a selling point.

4. Technology wise, its obvious the 7 is a head of the S. A plus point would be if BMW can get the Adaptive cruise control more automation.

Exterior Design. This is where BMW needs some help, aggressiveness, and should use some of its concepts designs HEAVILY in the next 7 Series. If not, I believe the S will continue to outsell the 7 by 2 to 1 or more.
Appreciate 0