10-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #36
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Worrying Thoughts!

Hope I'm wrong but I have to admit that I'm pessimistic about the Giants winning tonight.

Hudson takes a couple of innings to get into his grove and usually gives up runs early. Hudson lost 3-2 to Guthrie in Game 3, which was the only 1 run game of the series. I expect this game to be similar, which means that Hudson MUST hold the Royals to as few runs as possible -- preferably none.

In Game 3, Hudson gave up a quick run in the 1st and then gave up 2 more in the 6th, when he was taken out of the game. Guthrie SHUTOUT the Giants for 5 full innings and then gave up 2 in the 6th when he came out of the game and the "3 headed monster" came in to end the threat and finish the game w/2 more shut out innings. Royals win.

Bochy needs to take Hudson out BEFORE he gives up those extra runs in Game 7; preferably by the end of bottom of the 5th. He then has 3 options for middle relief -- Petit, Lincecum and/or MadBum.

I'm ambivalent about using MadBum in relief. As Petit discovered (or already knew), starting is a lot different than relieving. A starter can give up a few hits w/o worrying about giving up runs in the 1st inning or 2. A reliever usually comes in w/men on base and has to be sharp coming right out of the blocks. If MadBum is sharp, he could throw 3 more shut out innings which would enhance his reputation. But, if he's not sharp, the hits and runs he gives up will diminish his image and will probably contribute to a Giants loss.

I'd rather see Petit go back out there to relieve Hudson at the bottom of a clean inning, so that he'll have a chance to prove that he's still a stopper and go out of the WS w/a better showing than what he experienced last night in the 2nd inning when he had to relieve Peavy w/the bases loaded and only 1 out, which was just about the toughest situation you can put any relief pitcher in; only bases loaded with NO outs would have been tougher.

On the other hand, the Giants MUST find a way to score on Guthrie early. 5 more shutout innings (after being shutout 9 innings last night) won't cut it.

Pretty simple, if we don't score, we don't have any chance to win. Obviously, the Giants (just like the Royals) can hit. It all depends on whether the opposing pitcher can keep them from hitting or not. Let's just hope that Guthrie doesn't have the same "stuff" tonight that he had in Game 3 because, if he does, the Giants probably have NO chance to win the game and the series.

So, here's the word from me, Mr. Obvious. The key to winning the game for the Giants is to score runs (hopefully lots of them) and keeping the Royals from scoring any (or at least less than we score). LOL!!!

Lets just hope it works out that way.

GO GIANTS!!!