View Single Post
      07-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #41
Jashley73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6-M/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Best quote ever^. Kind of lame if you ask me, why somebody would spend money on something like this or why BMW would actually pay somebody to do research and development like this is beyond me.
IMO the leather interior in any of the Cadillacs I've owned, including my 11 CTSV coupe, is hands down the best smelling interiors I've ever been in. I do love the Dakota leather smell on my 335 as well, that smell to me is quintessential BMW interior smell.
This. For some reason, and at completely random times, I'll pop open the door on my wife's E60 and catch a faint scent of the leather. (Black Dakota btw...) not really an important thing, but a nice perk to owning a nice car...

And although I agree that the leather is all the scent you need, BMW is thinking further, and bigger picture here... For everyone bashing BMW for things like the ambient scent package or whatever it's called, consider this: it's often claimed that scent/smell is the strongest sense tied to memory. BMW is probably hedging their bets that not only will this be a neat gimicky option to help make a little extra cash, but rather they're betting that the "scented cabins" are part of a bigger plan to create more "Joy is Driving" moments/memories, through the sense of smell. And in their minds, they're hoping to increase brand loyalty for the masses through even more "driving" sensory stimulation.

Personally, I'd want the car to smell like flavored tobacco when the dynamic-dampers were set in "comfort," and then race gas and tire chunks when set in "sport."

Let's just hope the rest of the car is a good, reliable, enjoyable, ownership experience. Otherwise it'll backfire on BMW when the owners say, "I hate that smell! I had a BMW 7-series that smelled like that one time, and it was the biggest P.O.S. I've ever owned. Every time I smell that scent now, my blood pressure goes through the roof, I break out in angry sweats, and my stomach starts to churn!"

Talk about a brand image...

Last edited by Jashley73; 07-06-2015 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 1