View Single Post
      08-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #23
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Gotta link to that? I'm calling it right now - 0% chance. And I'll put money on that if anyone is interested.

Even if by some crazy chance some future high performance sedan from any manufacturer were to get a V10 engine (they won't though - not a single one ) it would be turbocharged for sure. And if you remember, Audi still has a 5.0L turbo V10 from the last generation RS6 that made 580 hp and is probably capable of much more than that considering the 4.0L turbo V8 can make nearly that much power today. So, they don't need the Huracan engine - they've got all the engine they need in that old V10 should the V8 prove to be inadequate any time soon (it won't ).
As solstice pointed out an all new V10 for the next M5 isn't out of the realm of possibility.

What is really in store for the future of M cars is all dependent upon the future EU regulations regarding emissions. The new BMW i line of vehicles will help BMW AG bring down their emissions to achieve standards of less than 105g per kilometer of CO2 by 2020. The CAFE standards are for each car manufacturers vehicles across it's entire line of products, this includes ///M cars. The fact is that emissions regulations will be getting tougher and tougher in the future and BMW needs to comply just like all of the other car companies. With ///M engines all going turbo and with smaller discplacements, they were able to achieve less emissions and more power and torque but at the cost of engine and exhaust note. A new V10 isn't exactly implausible for the next M5 if it is made in a certain way. They would have to decrease it's displacement and add forced induction to continue to make it relevant in a future of lower emissions. Right now I am thinking that something like a 4.0L Twin Turbo V10 could be in the works at ///M Division. The next X5M and X6M are using a revised version of the S63tu and will most likely make 600hp at the crank. It would be unprecedented for ///M to use the exact same setup from generation of ///M car to the next for it's main models, i.e. M3 and M5. However, this is exactly what is happening with the X5M and X6M. There has even already been talk of the next M3/M4 going to a 4cyl Turbo setup. So nothing is out of the question right now.

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2014...icles-by-2020/

If there is a new V10 in the works, I can pretty much bet that it will be Turbo Charged and a smaller displacement than the current S64tu engine and maybe even higher revving, but overall it will be more fuel efficient and have less CO2 emissions than the current S63tu engine. BMW i may have helped to ensure that future ///M engines aren't neutered just so that they have less CO2 emissions so that BMW AG can meet the stricter CAFE standards of 2020 and beyond. I have no idea if there would be a V10 coming or not, but it's not impossible. Especially if a new hybrid assist drive train is implemented in the next M5/M6.

Last edited by RPiM5; 08-25-2014 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0