05-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey 7 View Post
I've had my 750i for 6 weeks and have never enjoyed driving a car as much (including my previous 2002 530i and 2006 550i). The car has remarkable driving dynamics, the engine is sublime, the interior flawless (unless you're into cup holders) and the harmon kardon 600w premium sound system has to be heard to be believed.
The only oddity about the 2009 750i is the quite audible spooling or whining sound that occurs at about 2000 rpm or so and increases in pitch as the rpms increase. I have read numerous other reviews, both professional and owner, and many mention this sound. I only notice the sound when driving around town, not on the open highway.
I wonder if other drivers have been told the origin of the sound and if it can be corrected?
Have you tried to drive the car in manual (transmission) mode and purposely select a lower gear to see if the noise is engine or trany related?

If you select a lower gear and the engine is reving higher, you should be able to tell if the noise is coming from the engine (turbos) or from the transmiission.

BTW: I have read a LOT of reviews of this car and have yet to find an article that complains about a 'spooling or whining' noise. I also test drove the car twice and never heard any such noise. Aside maybe from SpotM5's post about the transmission noise he seems to hear.

Have you mentioned this to your dealership and if so, what did they have to say?
If not, ask the master technician of your dealership to take a ride in your car when you are driving and point out the noise to him so that he can tell you what that may be!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0