03-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #28
lan4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, 2010 550i, 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
What are they gonna race instead, an M4? The 911 and Corvette are NA, the Ford GT and Ferrari are turbo'd and all have the Balance of performance. Do you think that the m4's 3 liter S55 could handle being tuned up to about 500 hp and still be reliable? Whereas the TTV8 in the M6 was the better option.

BMw is kinda outgunned in the GTLM and to an extent in the GTD category. the M6 is a car with a big frontal area going up against sports cars, and exotics. Even the Corvette is having a time of it with it's front engine design.
The M6 hasn't been that reliable anyway, 1 of the 2 goes out every race for some mechanical reason or another. Maybe not the TTV8 as root cause, but what's the difference if your not on the pace of the competition.

Yes, I think the M4 would be a better choice. Porsche (NA) and Ford (TTV6) are running 6's, why not? If the S55 is that close to blowing up with 500HP, then that doesn't say much for the longevity of my F80, or all the S55's out there with tunes. Most of racing is for marketing anyway....who the heck races M6's other than BMW corporate? The M3/4 is the car BMW should be racing, no question IMHO.

Also as a few posts have said, I don't think Rahal's team is good at the BOP lobbying. With Ganassi and Corvette in GTLM, BMW is not in a good position with the monstrous M6, and lets face it, BOP charity from IMSA is what it takes for this M6 to compete with a Ford GT, Corvette, Ferrari, etc.
Appreciate 1