View Single Post
      01-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Tuesday
Frequent Flyer
Rep
Drives: 535LCI

How many miles on the car? As you probably know, BMW's are unfortunately notorious for clunky gear changes. On my E60 550i the shift from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop sometimes felt like I was getting rear-ended. I had a 2012 535i for 7 months and even with a few thousand miles the cold shifts in low gears were jerky. My F02 slams into reverse if I press the gas too soon after shifting....and I am sure a year form now I will have a new story to add to the list. The only reprieve I've found was through an adaptation reset using dealer software called ISTA/D. I just did this last night in fact, and it allows you to re-teach the transmission shift points to be a bit more conservative (if you drive it smooth). It's not a permanent fix, but most shops should be able to do it for you. Call around and ask if they have GT1 or AutoLogic in the shop, these systems should be able to perform adaptation resets and might give you some relief. Do not let them charge you more than $40 or so because it's a 10 minute operation.
Appreciate 0