View Single Post
      02-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #40
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Ok - I think there is also another lesson here....

Being a spectator at events like this are dangerous. This is true in almost any sport or activity (especially so in car or air events). What about an errant golf ball, or car penetrating the fence at Daytona, etc....

The organizers are most at fault here. Providing a safe mandated viewing distance for the crowd was not a consideration it would appear.

That said - this is an unfortunate incident.
This. It's totally absurd how the organizers set up where the spectators were allowed to stand next to the track. All of the tracks I've been to have a much greater distance between spectator and track along with big beefy concrete barriers and high fencing to mitigate contact by flying debris.

Those plastic "bump" stops are not going to stop any vehicle going at speed.

This is a tragic event and I'm sure the driver of the car is torn up over this. I'm also sure over the course of the coming months and probably years, he's going to be dealing with the fall out from this in the form of law suits not to mention probably having nightmares about what happened. This is not to diminish the suffering from the victims of the crash. But I feel the organizers are the real people responsible for what happened.
Appreciate 0