GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
How the hell do you remove the effects of the team?!?
One of the main roles of a driver is to aid the team into building a better car. He's not just there to move the steering wheel you know....

That's why schumacher is probably(?) the best driver. Look at where ferrari was when he came to Ferrari, and how steadily he closed the gap to the other constructors to finally get 6 championships in a row (it took him 3 years or so to get the first one and get the car to that level).
Of course it's a complete team efford, but the driver plays a big role in that.
A good driver is more than a muppet that holds the wheel. He's an advisor to the designers and techs.
That way the driver gets a car that is perfectly adapted to his needs. That's why F1 is a team sport.

From a sporting pov Senna and Prost were the best (or at least the rivalry between the two). They didnt gave into anything. Trying to be the fastest not only in the race but even in the training etc.
you seem to be simultaneously agreeing and disagreeing ...

the point is, even if I did my best I probably can't beat schumacher no matter which team I'm on, but I might do better on a better team. Thus a "good driver" is one who consistently performs well with multiple teams and not just does better but consistently wins ... i.e., he get along with most and does the job you're talking about.

If a driver only gets along with a few people on a specific team, hard to say that he's an objectively "good driver", i.e., he's a driver only one team wants.

A team is a team, but it's also far to judge the drivers on their own.
Appreciate 0