BMW Alpina
BMW Alpina Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruey220 View Post
for front:
counted 2 tweets in mirror corners, one speaker in each door panel (unless there are two inside the screen), 1 screen above driver and passenger looks like another tweet or is that a vent. 2+2 (+2 if speaker on ceiling) = 4 or 6.

single center channel speaker in dash, i'm assuming there may be a small sub underneath one of the seats to make it even number. 2

for Rear

one on each passenger door then one behind left and right headrest. 4

no matter how I slice or dice it can't be 16.

must be 10.

in my previous Lexus LS460L it had a 16 speaker system, it had speakers on the ceiling in the rear so since mine doesn't have it in the rear I am going with 10.

honestly the sound system in the car sounds weak, but again as I said when you're driving 500 ponies you dont care much to have the best sound system. In my other kleemann benz i also have 550hp with an alpine custom system i hardly turn it up when i'm driving the car spirited. you care more to hear the engine purr vs the chirp of the tweets.
Hi Ruey220,

After reading your description,
I think your Alpina B7 have 16 speakers (the Premium Hi-Fi).

That is because I read that you have 2 more speaker on the rear deck... (behind left and right head rest) and also
another EXTRA Pair on left and rear door.

Remember the Standard System had 7 channel Amplifier,
and the Premium Hi-Fi had 9 channel Amplifier.

Let me try to show you in more detail:
Standard System:
Channel 1: Front Door Left (2 speaker each, mid and tweeter)
Channel 2: Front Door Right (2 speaker each, mid and tweeter)
Channel 3: Front Center (2 speaker each, mid and tweeter in Coaxial Configuration)
Channel 4: Front UnderSeat Left Subwoofer (1 speaker)
Channel 5: Front UnderSeat Right Subwoofer (1 speaker)
Channel 6: Behind Rear HeadRest Left Speaker (1 speaker full range type)
Channel 7: Behind Rear HeadRest Right Speaker (1 speaker full range type)
If you calculate the total speaker above for standard system: 2+2+2+1+1+1+1= 10 speaker

Premium Hi-Fi System:
Channel 1: Front Door Left (2 speaker each, mid and tweeter)
Channel 2: Front Door Right (2 speaker each, mid and tweeter)
Channel 3: Front Center (2 speaker each, mid and tweeter in Coaxial Configuration)
Channel 4: Front UnderSeat Left Subwoofer (1 speaker)
Channel 5: Front UnderSeat Right Subwoofer (1 speaker)
Channel 6: Behind Rear Heat Rest Left Speaker (2 speaker separate Mid and Tweeter but arrange in Coaxial mounting type)
Channel 7: Behind Rear Heat Rest Right Speaker (2 speaker separate Mid and Tweeter but arrange in Coaxial mounting type)
Channel 8: Rear Door Left Speaker (2 speaker separate Mid and Tweeter but arrange in Coaxial mounting type)
Channel 9: Rear Door Right Speaker (2 speaker separate Mid and Tweeter but arrange in Coaxial mounting type)

If you calculate the total speaker above for Premium Hifi system: 2+2+2+1+1+2+2+2+2= 16 speaker

So because you say your car have Pair of Behind Rear HeadRest Speaker
PLUS
another pair of Rear Door speaker,
that make me confident it is a 9 Channel System,
and only Premium Hifi have 9 channel system.
So I am pretty sure that your Alpina B7 actually came
with the 9 channel 600 watts 16 speakers system.
Again the key here is that your system had a speaker grill on the rear door.

note:
I just found a picture from page 20 of the official 2009 BMW 7 Series specific catalog,
that show a 7 Series with NO Speaker Grill on it's Rear Door,

While in comparison,
a picture of the Rear Door of Alpina B7 that was taken during it's launching at 2009 Chicago Motor Show
show that the Alpina B7 have Speaker Grill on it's Rear Door,
and as Ruey220 also describe that his Alpina B7 have speaker grill on it's door.

So that prove the Standard System only have Behind Rear Headrest speaker,
while the Premium system (as in the Alpina B7) have both behind two rear headrest and another pair on each rear door.

I also think that the Behind Rear Head Rest speaker in the 7 channel standard system is a Full Range speaker,
that is why it is count as 1 speaker per side because it do not have separate mid and tweeter.

While the Rear Speaker in the 9 channel Premium Hifi system can be count as 2 speaker on each side
because it have a separate Mid and Tweeter Driver but arrange in one coaxial configuration,
A coaxial speaker look like 1 speaker unit, but in fact it is technically a 2 separate driver unit.(separate mid and tweeter)
and since it is a technically 2 separate driver unit,
the coaxial in the Premium Hifi is counted as 2 speaker per channel.

Last edited by BMW Alpina; 06-27-2010 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: found picture from offical 2009 BMW 7 Series catalog show standard system do NOT have speaker at rear door
Appreciate 0