bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
There is a limited supply of cobalt in the world, needed to make lithium-ion batteries. Most of the reserves are in the Congo. China is buying up all the cobalt in the Congo to corner the market. With the spike in cobalt prices will be the increase in the price of electric vehicles. This is not an issue with ICE vehicles, which use much less cobalt. Perhaps the death nail of the ICE and the rise of electrics is pre-mature until they figure out an alternative for electric vehicle battery.
Cobalt is recyclable. It's also a byproduct of nickel and copper ore extraction. The US will be mining cobalt in Idaho.

How strong is our reliance on foreign oil? Will the ICE live or die based on such a reliance on something that is NOT recyclable vs recyclable cobalt? I think you are just looking for reasons to kill the EV for whatever reasons. I'm curious as to what they are.
There are alternative fuels like ethanol and bio diesel. Many of the components in EVs rely on fossil fuels and some components like cobalt mean evs are actually more reliant on non renewable resources than ICEs
Appreciate 0