Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevster
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevster
Im sorry, but im confused here. Theres so many different headlight combinations being talked about. I have adaptive xeons. If i am understanding this corrected those of us with the adaptive systems, cannot manually adjust the beam height??
No you can absolutely adjust it manually in the vertical position (and horizontally as well though this is against current DOT regulations and the lights are designed in a way to make access and use of the adjusters difficult to comply with the legalese). But to properly aim them, certain steps must be taken before making any manual adjustments.
So an easy screw adjustment is out of question
I presume?
It is just turning a screw.

The few steps prior to that are the most important. Because the position of the lights are manipulated by the car, they need to be at what is called the Zero Position before making any manual adjustments. Otherwise the car will either fight back because the motors are still active, or the adjustment will be incorrect.

A couple of scenarios:

If the engine was running, light switch in auto, the steering wheel turned right, and a 150lb person was sitting on the rear bumper, the alignment would be skewed towards the left and up since the car has adapted to these conditions.

All the prerequisites are done but weight is added to the rear of the car while turning the manual adjusters, so the electric motor to which the manual screw is attached will run to compensate and strip off the gears. Then a new headlamp is required.
Appreciate 1