Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
I agree with lots of what you're saying except for the functional space comment. The thing is, 10% or less of licensed drivers couldn't care less about driver's experience. Makes sense then that as a large car manufacturer, you goal just cannot be to please 10% of the potential market out there. There are still cars in BMW lineup that will make some of those 10% happy.

Those of you who said would move away from BMW as a brand, if you stop comparing old to current models, but instead look at all brands, current models only. What brand out there appeals to you over BMW right now? Which brand do you think is significantly better ?

As I said, I feel that lots of your comments are valid in terms of driver's involvement, but I think that's just the way the whole industry is moving, not just BMW.
The space situation is... weird. The F10 M5 back seat is useless (front seat back is almost touching the back seat in my driving position), and the car is bigger than an e38 7 series. The e39 M5 is smaller than an F82, and I can comfortably sit behind myself in it (I'm 6'4).

I do agree the entire industry is moving that way. It's just the worst at BMW, because they went from being the undisputed best driving practical cars, to losing driving dynamics comparison test to Cadillac/Lexus, while becoming less practical.

If I were forced to buy a new car, I'd probably get a C7 corvette? But, in reality, if I go the corvette route, I wouldn't buy new one (C7), as I hate electric power steering-- I'd get a C6 Z06. If I had to buy a new/current 4 seater, I'd probably get the Tesla. Yes, it's still EPS, but at least you get something in exchange for your driving dynamics compromise-- no fuel needs and autopilot for traffic jams. I drive 100 miles/day (it's what I have the M5 for), so those two things do appeal to me. But, by no means would I be looking at that as an enjoyable driving experience-- more, a different benefit. If I had to buy a 3 series competitor, I'd likely go the Lexus route. Better driving dynamics, lexus reliability, cheaper.

In reality, thought, there are very few cars for sale at any price that I have any interest in currently. That's why I haven't purchased a new car in a while, and don't have any plans to replace my practical cars.

I suspect I'll be buying and build a factory five type 65 coupe, soon. Might do it with an S65, because I don't like torque in a sporty car

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0