07-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #52
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
My glasses aren't rose tinted by recollection on the slightest-- I've had 5 M3s, two M5s, and currently have an e36, e46, and e9X (pretty sure rose tinted glasses are limited to things you're no longer experiencing). I don't have an F8X because every time I've driven it I've had zero desire to own one. And I have wrenched on all of them-- in fact, I wrenched on one of my e46's at the BMW performance center, in SC, as I took delivery of the car, with the head of M in the room shaking his head at me taking apart my 2 mile on the clock car

Modern BMWs just drive like ass compared to the old ones. Throttle response has died to turbos, steering feel has died to EPS, ability to be worked on has died to disposable car design, practical use of space has died to... who knows what, NA redline bliss has died to turbo torque boredom, form follows function styling has died to gaudy tacky on over stylized japanese looking cars.

Outside of EPS, the Miata is as good of an example as the Aston. My point with the video had nothing to do with that specific car, and everything to do with him talking about what is wrong with modern performance cars in general. Also, you missed his point-- he isn't saying get rid of bluetooth/nav/whatever-- he's saying it shouldn't be the selling feature of a performance car. The driving experience should be-- which seems to have been forgotten in this era of speed/gadgets > driver involvement/experience.
I got his point, what you and the presenter forget, is that driving experience isn't an objective thing. What you may hate to drive, someone else may love (Chris Harris raves about the F8x, as do other Top Gear presenters but you can just as easy find someone who hates it, such as yourself).

Some people prefer the low end availability of torque, which yes is quite the departure of the wailing high RPM NA engines of the past, but that's not to say BMW's turbocharged engines don't love to rev as they can rev fairly high comparative to other turbos.
Appreciate 0