07-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #54
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Chris Harris has lost the ability to say anything negative about any car in the last couple years. Everything is sunshine and rainbows, per Harris. A far cry from the presenter that got banned from reviewing ferraris long ago (in fact, his decent to rainbows and sunshine land probably began when he made his "I'm sorry Ferrari, please take me back, your cars are awesome" video).
Since he bought one for himself, we can assume he meant what he said. Jeremy Clarkson has no issue insulting a car or expressing his disappointment but he had nothing but glowing things to say as well. It may be hard to come to terms with for you....but a decent amount of people actually think the F8x is brilliant.

Quote:
The F8X can rev high, for a turbo engine. But, that's missing the point. There's no need to rev it out, because you're out of peak power if you do, and there's power much earlier. Traditional M engines must be reved out, to get the most out of them. That means you're forced to stay on top of it, keeping it in the optimal powerband, making for a more involving driving experience.
Again, that's subjective. If I'm tracking a car, admittedly I'd rather an NA, but as a DD I actually prefer a turbo or other FI car, just love the low end grunt plus from a practicality standpoint, I don't have to let it hit 6500 RPM just to merge onto an interstate, hell even in my F30, I can simply apply a little more pressure on the accelerate and off it goes.

Quote:
Not just M cars, either-- if you think about a list of the best drivers cars in the last 50 years, all of them have that characteristic-- GT3s, NSX, S2000, Integera, M cars, lotuses, Ferraris, Miatas, CRXs, etc. Having to work an engine over to get the most out of it is a large part of what creates an involving driving experience (along with, for me, good feel, a predictable chassis, and accessible limits).
Yeah I remember vividly driving an S2000 and RSX Type S...which was just a somewhat more refined Integra. Great fun, but tiresome in everyday driving. By the time I was done, I had a great time driving them but in scooting around town, it got tiresome having to wail on it just to get any power. Again, that's just my preference.

I'd love to take one onto a track where I couldn't careless about keeping it in the upper RPM band and listening to the engine wail but around the streets of urban DC? Not so much.
Appreciate 0