View Single Post
      03-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #56
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
We have to take the course here in WA in order to get your endorsement. I ended up picking up a 08 GSXR600 with 6k miles. I'll have it by Monday and hopefully post some pics.
It's probably a MSF BRC class or equivalent. While I'm all for the BRC class and even the ERC which very few take, I hope the instructors teach braking properly. My buddy got into his first crash on an SV650. He called me just outside my development. I went out to see what happened. I saw the black tire mark on the asphalt running up to where his bike had crashed and immediately asked, "You used your rear brake didn't you?" He said yes and how did I know. I pointed to the skid mark on the road and said you locked up your rear end. He then told me the MSF instructors in his BRC class told him to use a lot of rear brake.

Most of the bike's braking happens from the front brake. More so with sport bikes where "stoppies" are very easy to do. Something I learned which the MSF class doesn't discuss (I guess for good reason) is the number of fingers needed to modulate the front brake on sport bikes. I was on a ride with someone who was very new to riding and had a 600. I was noticing he was having a hard time controlling the bike when applying the brakes coming to a stop. He was using all 4 fingers to actuate the front brake. I had to tell him he didn't need that many and 2 fingers was sufficient and better to modulate the brake without the jerkiness of 4.
Appreciate 0