03-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #17
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Does copyright extend to personal use or is it just confined to commercial usage or circulation?

As in does saving and using an image as computer wall paper or printing that image and hanging it in your office constitute copyright infringement?

I'm quite sure saving and using an image on my website where i sell goods and or services does. As well as using an image in my recent book that i'm selling.

Just not sure about the personal usage.
Before I answer the copyright question let me offer a suggestion to the OP.

Sand shots are one of the easier images in golf while also one of the rare opportunities to capture the golfers eyes and the ball in frame; two elements that contribute to a more compelling image. Don’t give up on capturing your own image of your son if you continue to get access. Even consider renting more capable equipment for a special event if what you currently use is inadequate. An image you take is going to mean even more to you.

The reason of course is that if you time your shutter release too close to impact on swings from the tee or fairway, the pro or caddie will get you thrown off the course. Since the ball moves much slower on sand shots, a well-timed burst gives you a number of frames to choose from on a single sand shot.

The USA does have a formal Copyright Registration department. Many other countries do as well and cooperate in enforcing Copyright laws across borders.

http://www.copyright.gov/

Check the FAQ's available through the link above for answers to most of your questions.

From my perspective, the biggest advantage to registering is to aid in potential litigation.

I've had many images stolen and don't have the time or energy to track them all down. Where I will find the time and energy is when it impacts the T's & C's of the organizations I get credentialed for. Since this is a golf thread the PGA for example is very strict and protective of their brand. If I shoot an event and my images are used in ways they were not authorized for, I can be held liable unless I can prove I was not involved but would still likely get my credential pulled even if I wasn't at fault.

Listen carefully to the warning recited during every Television Broadcast to understand how seriously organizations like the NFL take the protection of their brand. Still images are protected the same way.

Most credentials allow photographers to use images they have taken for showcasing a personal portfolio but this would not allow anyone else to share the image in any way, including personal use. I need to routinely put disclaimers on portfolio images I put online or even share on forums to CMA. I wish I didn't and I assume I get a few rolled eyes but we live in a litigious society and Professional Sports Organizations could hurt me if I didn't.

No eyes in this frame but interesting to capture the strength needed to get up and down from a plugged lie. Taken from a high perspective.

These images are from the portfolio of George Holland. They are presented here for your viewing pleasure. These images may not be copied, linked to, printed or used elsewhere in any way and are protected by copyright and the terms and conditions of the USGA
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
smoosh2211.50