View Single Post
      10-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
I didn't expect the Giants to take 2 from KC in KC but the manner in which they lost came 2 was very troubling.

For the Giants, Game 2 of the WS vs KC was very similar to Game 2 in the NLCS vs the Cards but with much GREATER negative expectations for the rest of the series.

Peavy was the starting pitcher in both games. He only lasted 4 innings in game 2 of the NLCS and left the game behind 2-0. The Giants were able to earn a run in the 5th, 6th & 7th innings to go ahead 3-2 but then Machi, Strickland and Romo each gave up solo homeruns -- the final a walk off by Wong in the bottom of the 9th -- to give the game away to the Cards.

In Game 2 of the WS, Peavy lasted 5 full innings but returned for the 6th and left w/a 2 men on base w/NO outs. Machi comes in and gives up a single to give the Royals the lead 3-2. Turns out, that's all the Royals really needed to take the game, but then Strickland comes in and gives up a double for 2 more and a homer for 2 more again. Royals lead and then win 7-2.

Because Peavy is really not good for more than 4-5 innings, the bullpen HAD to come in to help him and BOTH times the bullpen did that, they failed him (and the team) and it was essentially the same 2 pitchers who were responsible for those losses. In hindsight, it would have been better to bring in Petit fresh in the top of the 6th but, after Peavy left 2 men on base, Bochy didn't want to do that because he has never been brought Petit in for relief w/men already on base.

Apart from that, I question Bochy using the standard -- lefty v lefty/righty v righty -- stragegy in the bottom of the 6th, which resulted in the 5 runs scored. Personally, I would have brought in the reliever who I thought would give the Giants the best chance to get us out of trouble and throw at least 1 more inning thru the 7th. In my mind, that would have been Affeldt (or possibly Romo). It might not have worked but it would have been no worse of having to use up FIVE relievers in that one inning.

As a result of using all of those relievers, we may have lost Lincecum for the duration of the series because of a back injury AND we have definitely lost ALL faith in Machi and Strickland. So, that only leaves the core 4 relievers -- Lopez, Affeldt, Romo and Casilla -- and Petit, who we use ONLY for long relief, which makes our bullpen look pretty weak against KC's bullpen w/their game closers -- Herrera, Davis and Holland plus Collins, Finnegan and Frasor.

We already know that the Giants and Royals can hit when the pitching is vulnerable. Games 1 and 2 proved that. And, we've already seen what the Royals' "3 headed monster" can do coming out of the bullpen when they've got the lead. AND, we've already seen how easily our bullpen can give up runs to squander a lead (or, in the case of last night, a tie).

So, The key for the next 2 games in SF will be whether Hudson and Volgelsong can give us 6-7 full innings and hold KC's bats in check, so that we take a lead going into the 7th so that our core 4 relievers can hold off KC through the 9th, because we already know that (if the bullpen gives up the lead after the 6th) KC is bringing in Herrera, Davis and Holland (who already shut us down in Game 2) and unless we can beat them to come back from runs that the bullpen gives up, we'll lose.

I think that Hudson can give us 7 in Game 3 of the WS on Friday (like he did in Game 3 of the NLCS) but, unless Vogelsong can pitch like he did in the NLDS vs the Nats, I don't think he can give us 6-7 innings in Game 4. Consequently, I think that the advantage in the series now goes to the Royals, UNLESS the Giants pitching -- both starting and relieving -- can perform as needed.

Of course, we swept the Cards in SF after the loss in St. Louis to take the NLCS. Don't expect that to happen against the Royals. Obviously, would be ecstatic if it did, but I'd be happy w/a 2-3 split to go back to KC needing only to win 1.

We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Last edited by SSW; 10-27-2014 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0