View Single Post
      12-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #51
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
As being and EE I have done my fair share of programming, and I've been asked how I did something, and explain how I wrote code to do something, the kinds of challenges I ran into and how it ended up working. That alone mean more than asking someone to punch out some code.

As a person who has works at some of the top tech companies and being on more interviews than I like to remember as well as hiring a large number of engineers in my career I would argue asking someone to write some code does not mean a thing.

But if all they are expecting you to write code and nothing else then it may not be worth investing time doing a true behavioral interviews.
I believe you. The focus during the "technical" portion of the interview is probably different for straight up software engineering jobs vs anything an EE would be qualified for (which is broader but can also include software engineering).

Quote:
That's about any job.

The only work I've done that was truly gratifying was CNC programming because you made something incredible from a piece of nothing. However, that's not a money mans job. A money mans job is sitting at a computer doing repetitious work making 100k+.
Hell I've had a spine surgeon tell me that he's gotten painfully bored over the years given how repetitive his job is. He performs the same sort of surgery 90% of the time. I agree that's true with any job. I'm tempted to say "police officer" as a counter example but run-of-the-mill police work is probably extremely boring on a day to day basis as well. Police shows tend to show only the glamorous and suspenseful 1% of police encounters.
Appreciate 0