06-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #11
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Alan, the 1.5" sensor of your G1X is key to me. Any smaller and you can't make a decent sized print. I've got some shots that I love with my old G7 and G9, but when I went to print them for my office, they ran out of steam at around 18" on the long side.

Here's a favorite taken with my G9 a few years back:

Ranch Structure and Pond, Perry Park, CO USA by David Stephens, on Flickr

It shows very well here on a monitor and it's hanging above my desk, but I'd love to have been able to blow it up further for a different wall.

There are lots of great compact camera choices these days, but I recommend careful attention to sensor size when taking that route. If you will never print anything, then it's not so important, but, if you might print, then I suggest going with something no smaller than 3/4.

For those that sell Stock images, pixel-count turns into dollars. The difference between selling a 3MB file and a 10MB can be several hundred dollars, depending on the license. Getty and Flickr (their stock image wing is coming soon) require "at least" 3MB. That's a good enough reason for me to carry a full-frame if there's any chance that the images might be salable. (Thinking about a Canon 5Drs for next year's budget).

Dave